Chicamacomico is one of the most complete sites of all remaining Life Saving Stations in the nation. The site is open Monday through Friday from 10 AM – 5 PM and Saturday 10 AM – 4 PM. Admission fee is $8 per person. Site restoration work has continued over the winter with new shingles on the 1911 station, a reorganized gift shop and repairs to the parking area. This year we will be commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the heroic and captivating Mirlo Rescue.
ARTISTS AND BUYERS OPENING RECEPTION
Monday, August 13, 2018 – 6PM
- Collection of cedar shakes salvaged from the 1911 building and hand painted by local artists will be on display for the remainder of August and then sold by auction.
- Location: Dare County Arts Council Gallery, 300 Queen Elizabeth Ave, Manteo, NC
MIRLO RESCUE EXHIBIT AND RECEPTION
Tuesday, August 14, 2018 – 4PM
- Descendants gather to point out and talk about artifacts on display followed by Private Reception. Display continues through August.
- Location: Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum, 59200 Museum Drive, Hatteras, NC
Wednesday, August 15, 2018 – 10AM to 5PM
- Guided tours of historic Hatteras Island will be available throughout the day and a Hospitality Station will be open at the Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Community Building.
Wednesday, August 15, 2018 – 7PM
- Ticketed dinner for Descendants of the Mirlo Rescuers.
- Location: Camp Hatteras Convention Center, 24798 NC Hwy. 12, Rodanthe, NC
CENTENNIAL COMMEMORATION OF THE MIRLO RESCUE
Thursday, August 16, 2018 – 10AM
- Mirlo Rescue Symposium.
- Location: RWS Community Building, 23646 NC Hwy 12, Rodanthe, NC
Thursday, August 16, 2018 – 2PM
- Beach Apparatus Drill followed by Keynote Speaker, Flyover by Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, Laying of Wreath, Band Concert.
- Location: Chicamacomico Life-Saving Station, 23645 NC Hwy 12, Rodanthe, NC
LOCAL ART FAIR AND FESTIVAL
Friday, August 17, 2018 – 10AM to 5PM
- Fair with 20 local artists.
- Live entertainment and locally sourced food available. (noon)
- Location: Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo Community Building, 23646 NC Hwy 12, Rodanthe, NC
See official proclamation of the declaration of August 16, 2018 as being Mirlo Commemoration Day & August 13th through the 17th as Milro Commemoration Week.